Sunday, January 23, 2011

My First Blog Ever!

Please bear with me as this is my first time blogging.

So I guess I should just start by posting my latest cake!
This is a Toy Story cake for a little boys 1st birthday.



Cake details:
Bottom tier is 10in. (French Vanilla Cake, Vanilla Buttercream Icing)
Top tier is 8in. (Strawberry Cake, Vanilla Buttercream Icing)
The cake is fondant covered. The "wood" and "toy story" sign are a combination of gumpaste and fondant.

Here is how I made the "wood".... I colored marshmallow fondant and gum paste a light tan. Then I rolled it out and cut a combo of 4 1/2 inch, 4 inch and 3 1/2 inch strips. They were all approx. 1 inch wide. 

I took brown gel food coloring (I use Wilton) and a dry rough paintbrush, and "painted" the strips to get the wood grain look. I also used a little ivory color. After I put them on the cake I went over it again with water to even out the look and cover spots I missed. 

For the "sand" I used a fork to crush up Nutty Bars and sprinkled it around. Most people use Graham Crackers but I did not have any. Personally, I like the look and texture of the Nutty Bars better; especially because the mixture of colors!

The stars were dipped in a gum paste "glue" and then into yellow sugar crystals. The backs were covered with a thin layer of "glue" and adhered to the cake. Simple, right?!

Well... I hope this was a good blog for my first!
There will be more to come in the following days. I will be posting more of my cakes, cookies and cupcakes.
If you would like to know anything else about how this cake was made, please ask! That is why I am starting a blog. To help people with "tricks" in baking and to inspire ideas.
In the meantime check out my website:

Happy Baking!

I also want to make a shout out to Lauren at 40:31 Creations! She encouraged me to start this blog to display my work. If you ever need custom invitations, cards, or layouts- she is your woman! She is very talented at what she does and very creative!
She also just came out with her very own line of stamps!!
Check them out here!






4 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm a new stalker. Lauren sent me.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!!! I love it!! I wish I could do something like this!! Lauren sent me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER COOL!!! New follower!!!-lauren DavilaScraps sent me from FB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome... Its beautiful...Dawn RI

    ReplyDelete